If you’ve never tried the elixir of the gods known as paleo butter coffee (also called bulletproof coffee), then you’re probably wondering if I’ve gone mad right now. Put butter in coffee? Put coconut oil in coffee? I’ll admit, it sounds crazy. And you know what? It is crazy- crazy good, that is!
It took a few months of hearing about the magical health benefits of butter coffee (not to mention it’s magical flavor benefits) before I actually tried it. But once I did, I hated myself a little bit for not trying it sooner. It was the most creamy, delicious coffee drink I’d ever had (I swear, you won’t miss that caramel macchiato). I haven’t turned back.
So what is butter coffee? At its most basic levels, it is simply coffee blended with grass-fed butter. It can be left as simple as that, but it also a great vehicle for other additions: coconut oil, cocoa powder, maple syrup or coconut sugar, cinnamon and other spices, collagen peptides and more. These additions not only up the flavor potential, but the health benefits of butter coffee too.
And I swear, there are true health benefits from putting butter in coffee. Let’s explore them together and remove any doubt from your mind!
A few reasons to try drinking butter coffee:
1. If you don’t like eating breakfast. Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. It revs up your digestive system for the rest of the day, provides you with much-needed energy, kick-starts your metabolism and provides important calories. If you struggle to eat in the morning, or don’t feel hungry after waking up, you’re missing out on all of these benefits. Drinking a cup of butter coffee in the morning provides plenty of calories, key fat and fat-soluble vitamins and tons of energy to get you through your morning.
2. If you’re trying to lose weight. The common belief that fat makes you fat is simply not true. You can read more about that here in my ode to dietary fat. In fact, fat is a vital part of the human diet, key to brain health. It’s also incredibly satiating and consuming enough fat can actually help control your appetite throughout the day.
Studies have also shown that intermitting fasting (eating all of your daily calories within a short window of time (usually about 8 hours) and fasting the rest of the day) can help with weight loss. Many proponents of intermitten fasting encouraging drinking a cup of butter coffee in the morning, as it provides energy and some calories without sparking your digestive processes the way a morning meal would.
3. If you’re looking to improve your overall health. I can’t state it enough: humans NEED to eat dietary fat. Fat provides energy, is necessary to absorb some key vitamins, builds cells and other key neurological structures and helps control appetite.
How does butter coffee help?
First, let’s talk about the butter. The key here is to use organic, grass-fed butter (raw is even better). I love Kerrygold butter because it’s delicious, affordable and can be found at pretty much any grocery store.
Butter not only provides plenty of dietary fat, it also contains many of those fat-soluble vitamins that fat helps the body absorb. Grass-fed butter offers:
- Vitamin A to boost thyroid, adrenal and cardiovascular health;
- Vitamin K2 to support bone density and cardiovascular health;
- Vitamin D and E to support bone health and improve calcium absorption
Adding coconut oil provides even more fat, and also offers some amazing health benefits. Coconut oil has been found to:
- Reduce inflammation
- Reduce blood pressure
- Improve energy
- Boost skin health
The well-known Bulletproof Coffee brand and Bulletproof Diet program suggests using MCT oil in coffee. MCT stands for “medium-chain triglycerides,” a form of saturated fatty acid offering many health benefits, from improved brain function to better weight management. Coconut oil includes some MCTs, but concentrated forms of MCT are also now available online. Why does the Bulletproof Diet specify use of an MCT oil? Medium-chain fats are more easily digested and absorbed, so there is less work for your body to do when breaking them down. MCTs are also smaller, making it easier to permeate cell membranes and easier for our bodies to utilize them.
Coffee itself can also offer some good health benefits. While there are mixed views on the impact caffeine has on our health out there, more and more evidence is found to suggest it can be helpful. A series of Harvard Medical School studies found, for example, that coffee can reduce the rates of cardiovascular disease, protect against Type 2 diabetes, reduce the rates of depression in women and perhaps even ward off Parkinson Disease.
When you add other mix-ins to your butter coffee you’re getting even more amazing health benefits.
My #1 recommended addition to paleo butter coffee is without a doubt Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides. I love the collagen peptides from Vital Proteins because they’re made from pature-raised, grass-fed beef collagen protein. Peptides, which are bought in powder form, offer natural anti-aging benefits and support skin health and vitality, offer key proteins and amino acids to help joint health and reduce inflammation, and can also improve gut health. Collagen peptides are flavorless and mixed into any cold or hot drink, soup or even oatmeal. When you blend collagen peptides in coffee, it helps make your paleo butter coffee even foamier and richer – not to mention healthier!
So what else can you blend into your paleo butter coffee?
My favorite butter coffee additions:
So now that you know the ingredients you’ll want to make your own paleo butter coffee, how does one actually go about making it? It’s so easy I’m not sure I can even call this a recipe, so instead I’ll call it a step-by-step guide. While there are a variety of ways you can make you own coffee with butter, I really believe a blender is key. Without blending the ingredients together, you’ll end up with coffee that looks like it’s the victim of an oil spill instead of a rich, foamy, latte impersonator.
I use the Ninja Professional Blender system and highly recommend it. It comes with a standard blender cup for making soups and smoothies, but also comes with two individual sized blender cups that are perfect for making butter coffee. The individual size cups even come with their own screw-on drinking lids so you can take them on the go without dirtying a travel mug. Genius!
Once you’ve got your blender ready, just follow the steps below and you’ll be on your way to paleo butter coffee heaven!
How to Make Paleo Butter Coffee
1. Make a cup of coffee (however large you typically drink)
2. Pour the coffee into a blender.
3. Add 1 tbsp. grass-fed butter and another other additions (e.g. 1 tbsp coconut oil or MCT oil, 1/2 tbsp maple syrup, 1/4 cup almond or coconut milk, 1/2 tbsp maple syrup and 2 scoops collagen peptides) to the coffee in the blender.
4. Blend the coffee and mix-ins on high speed for about 10-15 seconds, until well-combined.
5. Stand back a minute to watch the massive amounts of beautiful foam rise to the top of the coffee (yes, this is a required step).
6. Pour your beautiful paleo butter coffee into the mug of your choice, drink and then spend at least 10 minutes wondering if you’d ever truly lived before this moment.
All right, so are you convinced that you should join us crazies putting butter in coffee? If so, make sure you stock up on your favorite organic coffee beans or cold brew coffee, grab some raw, grass-fed butter, ghee and/or coconut oil, and be sure to consider purchasing some Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides, too. If you don’t already have a high-quality blender, get one on Amazon (you’ll find the best prices there, plus Amazon Prime members can get free two-day shipping) and get ready to fall in love!
I’ve definitely noticed some major health benefits since I started drinking butter coffee, including improved skin (thanks to those healthy fats and collagen peptides!), improved and sustained energy, better-controlled blood sugar throughout the day and improved digestion (I credit my improved digestion to lots of other healthy practices, too, but definitely think that the fats, proteins and vitamins from butter coffee have helped).
Try it for yourself and then be sure to share your thoughts! Already a butter coffee believer? Make sure to share why YOU love paleo butter coffee in the comment section of this post! I’d love to hear your thoughts.